My Mamma's Crowd Pleasing Potato Salad. "Creamy, soulful crowd-pleasing potato salad recipe! Southern style with simple ingredients and old-fashioned flavor". The best Southern potato salad uses pretty much the same traditional ingredients: potatoes, mayo, mustard, eggs, relish, and seasonings.
If you dice everything while the potatoes are boiling it doesn't take too long to make a very large quantity either. This would be great for potlucks, parties, or anytime you need to contribute to feed a crowd. Potato salad can be prepared in any number of ways. You can have My Mamma's Crowd Pleasing Potato Salad using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Table of Recipes
Ingredients of My Mamma's Crowd Pleasing Potato Salad
- It’s 5 lb of red potatoes.
- It’s 2 lb of carrots, peeled and grated.
- It’s 1 bunch of celery, finely chopped into little cubes, tops and bottoms removed.
- It’s 1 small of onion, coarsely chopped (so it can be removed later if you like).
- Prepare 3 clove of garlic, lightly smashed.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, or whatever oil you prefer.
- Prepare 1 of bottle of your favorite ranch dressing, should be about 16 ounces.
- It’s 1 tsp of paprika, or to your taste.
- You need 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
That said, glorious potato salads have a few traits in common. The best of them call for waxy potatoes—like Red Bliss or fingerling—that hold up during cooking. They should be cooked until they're easily pierced with a fork, not more and not less. This Southern Potato Salad recipe makes a classic side perfect for casual suppers and summer cookouts!
My Mamma's Crowd Pleasing Potato Salad step by step
- Wash potatoes and cut to size of your liking. Par boil the potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork..
- Meanwhile prep your veggies. Wash, trim,peel and grate the carrots (I use the food processor). Wash, trim, and chop celery. Put in a bowl, cover and set aside..
- When potatoes are tender but not too soft, drain and set aside to cool. Heat oil in a large pan, add onion pieces then crushed garlic. Sauté until it starts to slightly brown but do not burn..
- Add potatoes, turn them over with a large spoon to coat with oil. Cook until soft or of desired consistency (I like to let them cook until they start to turn golden). Discard onion and garlic, put potatoes in a large bowl, add carrots, celery, ranch dressing and paprika. Stir and taste, add salt and pepper, or more paprika until it tastes perfect..
- Enjoy warm, at room temperature, or chill in the refrigerator. My Mom used to make a big bowl in the morning so we had it to munch on all day :).
A family potato salad recipe that's great to make ahead and is a crowd favorite! When I was a girl I loved being the taste tester when Mama made her potato salad. We have been making this recipe for many years and whenever we serve it we get compliments. The secret ingredient is the sweet mixed pickles. This is a great make ahead salad.