Japanese-style Potato Salad. Japanese Potato Salad (ポテトサラダ) is a little different from typical versions of American potato salad. The potatoes are roughly mashed, so it's kind of like mashed potatoes with all the colorful ingredients. It's creamy and smooth, but with added chunky textures from the vegetables.
I'm so pleased with the result of my Japanese-style potato salad. It's light, not too creamy, and it tastes fantastic. I made this salad with yellow potato. You can have Japanese-style Potato Salad using 7 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Table of Recipes
Ingredients of Japanese-style Potato Salad
- Prepare 3-4 of potatoes (peel and cut into bite sizes).
- You need 1 of onion (peel and slice thinly).
- Prepare 1 can of tuna.
- You need 1 Tbsp of vinegar.
- You need 1-2 Tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 2 Tbsp~ of mayonnaise.
- Prepare of salt & pepper.
Japanese potato salad is like semi-mashed potatoes mixed with vegetables, ham, egg and mayonnaise. I think that the major differences between Japanese potato salad and other Western style potato salads are the way potatoes are prepared and the dressing, Kewpie mayonnaise. Unlike Western- or German-style potato salad (which I also love), the Japanese version looks closer to roughly mashed potatoes. "His Japanese potato salad was always perfect and had just the right texture with a secret ingredient that made it extra flavorful: karashi, or Japanese spicy mustard. Japanese potato salad has a very soft texture with only small bits of potato in it.
Japanese-style Potato Salad step by step
- Add the potatoes to cold, salted (2 tsp salt) water and then bring to a boil until cooked. Drain and immediately pour in vinegar and mix (do not mash all potatoes, but leave a part of them undone) with pepper, let them cool..
- Heat the mayonnaise in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and stir fry until wilted. Put canned tuna and the soup of it and keep stir frying for 1 minute. Add soy sauce and cook thoroughly..
- Mix potatoes (step 1) and fried onion (step 2), mayonnaise in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and soy sauce to taste..
Mix in the other carrot, egg, onion and cucumber along with the mayonnaise. Then season the potato salad-this is the important bit. Add the rice vinegar, then sprinkle some of the sugar and salt and pepper over and mix. Bento Japanese Potato Salad Japanese Diet Japanese Teriyaki Japanese Meals Japanese Style Yakitori Asian Cooking Cooking Broccoli. Everybody likes Potato Salad, which is sold in almost every grocery store in Japan.