Mama's Southern Potato Salad. Deviled eggs and potato salad the way mama always made it. Delicious recipe for those who don't already know how to make it. PLEASE take a moment to look at.
We eat this during summer picnics, at Thanksgiving, and any other time we feel like it. That's what makes it the perfect side dish. Mama Says: "Make sure you don't cube them too big or they won't cook through, and be sure to cut off any. You can cook Mama's Southern Potato Salad using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Table of Recipes
Ingredients of Mama's Southern Potato Salad
- You need 4-6 of Med to Large Russet potatoes or 8-10 Red potatoes (Using russets in the pictures).
- It’s 4 of Large Eggs (or more if you like, my family does, so I use 6, at least).
- You need 1 of Med Sweet onion or 1 Bundle Green Onions (Optional) Using sweet onion for these pics.
- It’s 1 1/2 c. of Mayonnaise (Maybe a little more or less to taste).
- Prepare 1/3 c. of Sweet Relish.
- You need 2 tbsp. of (of each) Spicy, Honey Dijon, and Reg. Mustard.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of Creole Seasoning (More or Less depending on how you like your spice level!! You can buy at the grocery store but I also have a homemade recipe for it as well, on my page).
- You need 1/4 c. of Bacon Bits or 2-3 slices of bacon, fried and broken up.
- You need 2-3 of Roasted Garlic Cloves minced and chopped up (Easy, EASY recipe also available for Roasted Garlic on my page) or Couple tbsp Minced garlic, Garlic Salt or Powder will work too.
- It’s To Taste of Salt and Pepper.
This Southern Potato Salad recipe makes a classic side perfect for casual suppers and summer cookouts! A family potato salad recipe that's great to make ahead and is a crowd favorite! When I was a girl I loved being the taste tester when Mama made her potato salad. Southern Potato Salad, family gatherings are not the same without Mama's potato salad, cubed potatoes, chopped onions, chopped dill pickles, chopped boiled eggs and mayonnaise with a little mustard.
Mama's Southern Potato Salad instructions
- Get the potatoes in heavily salted water, begin to slowly boil, to be able to add eggs. Add eggs when boiling starts. Cover and let boil for another 10 – 15 min..
- While the boiling is going on, prepare the onions and precooked garlic (if that's what your using, this is the garlic in the pic) Chop or dice both very finely..
- This is the chopped onion..
- Once the boiling is finished. Drain the water off of the potatoes and eggs. Cool down easiest way possible…. for me I drain the hot water off and add cold water, then refrigerate while getting other ingredients together. If I'm in a hurry I do an ice bath, pull off the heat, drain, then add ice and cold, COLD water to it. Let it sit for a few min then begin the peeling process. This way the skins of the potatoes will peel straight off with your fingers, nothing else needed..
- Once potatoes are peeled, dice LARGELY!! Peel eggs and dice LARGELY, as well. When you mix everything it will come together great, so go BIGGER on cutting up the POTATOES N EGGS!! That's kinda the great thing about this recipe your cuts don't have to be perfect!! Go ahead and add garlic and seasoning (salt, pepper, creole, ect.) and stir it up!!.
- Last step!! Mix it all together!!! Add the mustard, mayo, relish!! The longer you can let it sit, and marinate, it makes it better. I usually make mine the night before and that's the way my family likes it!!.
The secret to my Mom's potato salad is in how you cook the potatoes. Potato salad reminds me so much of my Mama. This recipe is basically the same as hers – simple, basic, southern potato salad. Nothin' fancy or highfalutin' – just potatoes, eggs, onion, celery, a little bit of mustard, some pickle relish, salt & pepper. Boil potatoes until they are tender but firm, do not over cook or the salad will be like mashed potatoes.