Holiday inspired pan fried duck with celeriac mash and fig sauce. Holiday inspired pan fried duck with celeriac mash and fig sauce. When I was growing up we used to holiday every year at my uncles house in the south of Fried Plantain and Irish Potatoes serve with pepper sauce. finger plantain, irish potatoes, oil for frying, fresh tomatoes, onions, fresh pepper, salt. Duck and apple is a classic combination, and adding the celeriac makes it not just a sauce but a complete meal.
Add the butter and cream and mix well, then season, to taste, with salt. While the duck rests, reheat the celeriac purée, braised celeriac, and sauce. Once the braised celeriac is warm, remove it from the pan and keep warm, then boil the cooking liquid to Spoon some celeriac purée onto each plate in a swirl. You can have Holiday inspired pan fried duck with celeriac mash and fig sauce using 18 ingredients and 7 steps. This is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Holiday inspired pan fried duck with celeriac mash and fig sauce
- Prepare of The celeriac mash.
- Prepare 1/2 of a celeriac.
- Prepare 2 of big potatoes (I used Maris piper).
- Prepare 1-2 tbsp of creme fraiche.
- You need Half of a tsp nutmeg.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare of The duck.
- You need 2 of x duck breasts.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves bashed / skin on.
- You need sprigs of Thyme.
- Prepare of Seasoning.
- You need of The sauce.
- You need 4 of ripe figs.
- You need 1 tsp of sugar.
- It’s of Good splash balsamic vinegar.
- You need of Good splash red wine.
- Prepare 2 tsp of fig jam/chutney.
- Prepare of Water.
Duck breasts make a great main course for entertaining – they are quick to cook and full of flavour. This easy recipe serves them in a creamy, peppery thyme sauce with celeriac mash. Reheat the mash and divide between two plates. Arrange slices of duck breast on top and pour the sauce over.
Holiday inspired pan fried duck with celeriac mash and fig sauce step by step
- Chop the celeriac and potatoes and add them to a pot of cold water. Season with salt and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer until soft..
- Once cooked, strain the vegetables and mash. Add the creme fraiche and finely grated nutmeg and keep mashing until smooth. Season and put in a warm oven..
- Prepare the duck – score the skin, season on both sides and then place the duck skin side down on a hot non-stick pan over a medium heat. Cook for 15 – 18 minutes. After about two or three minutes add the Garlic and thyme.
- Meanwhile prepare your sauce. Finely chop the figs and add to a pan with a little olive oil. Fry for 2 mins. Turn up the heat and add a good lug of red wine and allow to reduce. Then add a little sugar, the chutney and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Reduce the heat and allow to cook. Add water as you go to keep it saucey. Cook for about 10 minutes..
- After 15-18 minutes of cooking skin side down, flip your duck breasts and cook for another two minutes on the other side..
- Remove from the heat and leave to rest while you prepare your plates, cook your veg and make sure your celeriac is warm..
- Slice the duck (it should be pink) and serve..
Peel the celeriac and cut into chunks, then boil until tender. Remove to a plate and keep on the side. For the duck breasts: Sprinkle each duck breast liberally with salt and pepper. Score the duck breasts, skin-side up, in a lattice pattern and season well with salt and pepper. Drain the celeriac and potatoes, mash with a potato masher then.