You can cook Avocado Pickles using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Table of Recipes
Ingredients of Avocado Pickles
- It’s 2 of large Hass type avocados firm, not soft (just before ripe).
- Prepare of brine.
- You need 1 cup of vinegar (apple cider or white).
- You need 1 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of kosher salt.
- It’s 1-3 tablespoons of sugar.
- You need 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard seeds.
- You need 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional).
Avocado Pickles instructions
- Mix all brine ingredients in a small saucepan. I use a dried chili for a little heat instead of pepper flakes (optional). Also first time making, use 3 tablespoons sugar. I like 1 tablespoon myself..
- Heat to a simmer, stir constantly until salt and sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 5-10 minutes..
- Turn off heat, set aside to cool, about 20 minutes..
- Slice the avocados, thin, put in a jar (I'm using an old pickle jar here). If you were going to use only for salads, cube instead. Slices are better for right out of the jar and sandwiches..
- Pour cooled brine in jar to cover sliced avocados. If some is not covered, they will turn that brownish, grayish color, but still taste fine..
- Refridgerate for 3 hours (yes, hours, not days). Should remain good for 1 month. Never had one last that long before they were gone. This picture is the next day..
- Instead of mustard seeds, you can also try, Garlic cloves, Coriander seeds Caraway seeds Fresh herbs like dill, fresh chili, like habaneros..