My Grandma's Bread and Butter Pickles. Bread and Butter Pickles have the perfect balance between sweet and tangy. My grandma's recipe will bring back memories of days gone by. I began poking around the internet looking for how to make bread and butter pickles and I found several recipes.
This bread and butter pickle recipe is the real deal. Sweet pickles the way grandma used to make them. Cucumber slices, onions, peppers and garlic are pickled in an exciting spicy cider vinegar mixture! You can have My Grandma's Bread and Butter Pickles using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of My Grandma's Bread and Butter Pickles
- You need 1 of -add together-.
- You need 1 gallon of cucumbers, sliced.
- It’s 8 small of onions, sliced.
- It’s 2 of red bell peppers, sliced.
- It’s 1/4 cup of canning or kosher salt.
- It’s 1 of mix together-.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of tumeric.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cloves.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of mustard seed.
- It’s 2 tsp of celery seed.
- It’s 5 cup of granulated sugar.
- It’s 5 cup of white distilled vinegar.
What a great way to end the summer! "These are the best bread and butter pickles I have ever had!! And I have been looking for a long time. Bread & Butter Pickles – One of the Great Depression's Greatest Hits. At the end of summer, the excess "cuc" crop was sliced, salted, pickled, and put up in jars for the cold, lean months ahead.
My Grandma's Bread and Butter Pickles step by step
- Cover the sliced vegetables with ice for three hours, then drain..
- Add the mixed spices (turmeric through vinegar) to the drained cucumber mixture..
- Boil for five minutes and hot pack..
- These are delicious (:.
If you thought summer Depression-era sandwiches sucked, it was much worse in. Brown Eyed Baker. · A wonderful, simple recipe for homemade refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles. The pickles are made with cucumbers, onions, cauliflower and red peppers flavored with vinegar and mustard! Not Your Normal Bread and Butter Pickles! Made of Local Ingredients in Our Farm Certified Kitchen Note: Larger quantities means less.