Ice Box Pickles.
You can cook Ice Box Pickles using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Table of Recipes
Ingredients of Ice Box Pickles
- It’s 1 head of cauliflower.
- It’s 7 cup of cucumber diced, with seeds removed.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of onion, sliced.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sliced red or green pepper, or a combination of both.
- Prepare 2 cup of sugar**.
- You need 1 cup of vinegar.
- It’s 1 tbsp of coarse salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of mustard seed.
- It’s 1 tsp of celery seed.
- Prepare 2 large of mason jars.
Ice Box Pickles step by step
- Cut up all vegetables into a large container or bowl (1 gallon capacity approx.).
- Combine vinegar, spices, salt, and **sugar into a jar and shake well. With the sugar, 2 cups is fairly sweet, so if you want a sweeter pickle use all 2 cups. For a tarter pickle use less. I started with 1 ½ cups in the jar and taste tested. I used about 1 ⅔ cups of sugar..
- Pour the liquid over the cut up vegetables, cover and refrigerate 12 – 24 hrs stirring every 6 – 8 hrs or so, making sure all the vegetables are evenly coated..
- The vegetable mass you started with will drop considerably and the liquid mass will double to triple in volume..
- Divide your pickled vegetables into 2 jars and cover with the liquid left in the container..
- Theses pickles will keep for 3 months in the refrigerator, if they last that long! Enjoy! :).