Mustard Pickles / Piccalilli.
You can have Mustard Pickles / Piccalilli using 17 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Table of Recipes
Ingredients of Mustard Pickles / Piccalilli
- You need 1 of kilo vegies (your choice but I use):.
- You need half of cauliflower.
- Prepare 1 of red and 1 green small pepper/capsicum.
- It’s 2-3 of zucchini and or cucumber.
- Prepare 2-3 stalks of celery.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- It’s 1 tbspn of mustard powder.
- Prepare 1 tbspn of curry.
- It’s 1/2 tbspn of tumeric.
- Prepare of chili (I put a pinch of flakes but put more or leave out).
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
- It’s 1.5 litres of water (to soak overnight).
- You need 1/4 cup of salt (to soak overnight).
- Prepare 750 ml of vinegar, white or cider. Cheap white vinegar works fine.
- Prepare 1-1.5 cups of sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 of tspn rock or sea salt.
- You need of cornflour (if needed).
Mustard Pickles / Piccalilli step by step
- Dissolve 1/4 cup salt in 1.5 litres of water. Large bowl..
- Finely chop all vegies and place in bowl of salted water. Leave 12 hours or overnight..
- Drain well and rinse then place in pot with 1 litre fresh water and 1/2 tspn salt..
- Simmer til tender, about 20 minutes then drain and put aside..
- In pot put vinegar and sugar. Bring to boil to dissolve then add the mustard, curry, tumeric, chili, salt and pepper..
- Cook until reduced and thicken or mix in a paste of cornflour and water until quite thick. Once cooled it does set some more..
- When done, add the vegies and mix it all in..
- The pickle is now ready. Place in clean jars and if canning, water bath for 10 minutes. Or just put it into the fridge. When canned this pickle will sit on the shelf for at least 1 year..