Southern Style Fried Chicken.
You can have Southern Style Fried Chicken using 7 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Table of Recipes
Ingredients of Southern Style Fried Chicken
- It’s 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1 cup of cornstarch.
- Prepare 5 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp of paprika.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- It’s 2 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1 3/4 cup of cold water.
Southern Style Fried Chicken instructions
- Brine chicken for at least 1 hour before cooking.
- In large bowl mix dry ingredients. Whisk together..
- Add water and whisk until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour..
- Remove chicken from brine and discard water. Pat chicken dry..
- Whisk batter to ensure it's evenly distributed..
- In a dutch oven place 3 quarts of oil and heat to 350°F..
- Place chicken in batter mixture. Remove and allow excess to drip off. Place in hot oil carefully and cook for 13-15 minutes. Cook batches of white and dark meat together..
- After 4 min move chicken to be sure it's not sticking together or to bottom the of pan..
- Once chicken is golden brown or time is reached remove and check and see if chicken is done. Use an onstage read meat thermometer to check internal temperature of chicken (at least 160 for white meat and 175 for dark) being sure not to hit the bone..
- If internal temperature is good place chicken in a 200°F oven to keep warm until all batches are done..
- Reheat oil for next batch.