Indonesian Traditional Fried Chicken (Ayam Ungkep). Indonesian Traditional Fried Chicken or Ayam Goreng Ungkep is very popular dish in Indonesia and all people love it. Even though there's so many new. Ayam Ungkep is Indonesian traditional fried chicken where chicken pieces are first cooked in spices on the stove top with very low heat prior to deep frying.
When Indonesians mention ayam goreng (fried chicken), what we really mean is ayam ungkep, and you can use the term interchangeably. Ungkep translates to braising, and the name reflects the fact that what we fry is not raw chicken, but chicken that has been braised in a pot of broth filled with. Authentic Indonesian Crispy Yellow Fried Chicken, step-by-step cooking guide, easy to follow cooking recipes from Indonesia, suitable for beginners ➠ try this taste! You can cook Indonesian Traditional Fried Chicken (Ayam Ungkep) using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Indonesian Traditional Fried Chicken (Ayam Ungkep)
- Prepare 1.5-2 kg of chicken thigh, bone-in, skin-on.
- You need 1 tbs of grated garlic.
- It’s 1/2 tbs of garlic powder.
- It’s 1 inch of ginger, grated.
- You need 2 of candlenut, grated / mashed (you can ommit if you don't have it).
- You need 1 tbs of coriander powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tbs of cumin powder.
- You need 1/2 tbs of turmeric powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of nutmeg powder.
- It’s 2 tbs of sea salt.
- It’s 2 tsp of sugar.
- It’s to taste of white pepper powder.
Another variant of Javanese Fried Chicken : Ayam Goreng Bumbu Kuning, one of my family's favourite side dish!! Chicken done this way is great served with Nasi Goreng (Indonesian Fried Rice). Indonesian ayam goreng or ayam ungkep is usually not coated with batter and fried like the fried chicken we often eat or see. I just love to use pressure cooker these days because the chicken pieces are tender and they cook faster too, but of course you can.
Indonesian Traditional Fried Chicken (Ayam Ungkep) step by step
- Mix all the spices. Rub to the chicken well. Let it stand for an hour..
- Put all the chicken pieces into the slow cooker. Set to "high" for 4 to 5 hours (depending how big the chicken pieces)..
- After the chicken are cooked, at this point you can devide per portion in ziplock bags then put them in the freezer. When you need them, take out a portion then thaw it in the fridge..
- Preheat the oil then deep fry the chicken or like what I did here is frying them in an air fryer..
Ayam Goreng Kalasan from Yogyakarta This fried chicken is cooked with special spices from Kalasan, Sleman, Yogyakarta. Ayam Paniki from Ternate From the eastern part of Indonesia, this dish will surely make your taste buds happy! Chicken meat is cooked in coconut milk and spices made from. Best traditional Indonesian fried. – Ayam Goreng NY. Indonesian Traditional Fried Chicken (Ayam Goreng Ungkep.